Sunday, October 23, 2011

Committed

I attended my good friend's wedding at the UCLA Faculty Center last weekend, which was beautiful, romantic, and had surprisingly good food catered by the university. By that, I don't mean the "decent for a wedding and the open bar helped" sort of food, but food that I actually remembered and inquired about afterwards. I may also have dived after some caterers to get to a plate of lamb chop appetizers. But you can't be shy about running after good food!

This was also my first wedding hustling around behind the scenes to help out with random things (this is probably common knowledge, but there should definitely be waterproof makeup, champagne, and flip flops for the bride on her big day) and giving a toast, which should've been easy given how often I write. But truthfully, it took several hours and multiple drafts before I had something that I (and luckily, the bride) thought sounded acceptable, and a couple glasses of liquid courage on the big day before giving the toast so that I wouldn't totally freak out.

So like most weddings, it was somewhat hectic, but everything worked out in the end for a lovely time. Maybe that's a reflection of marriage too?





People always fall in love with the most perfect aspects of each other's personalities. Who wouldn't? Anybody can love the most wonderful parts of another person. But that's not the clever trick. The really clever trick is this: Can you accept the flaws? Can you look at your partner's faults honestly and say, "I can work around that. I can make something out of that."? Because the good stuff is always going to be there, and it's always going to be pretty and sparkly, but the crap underneath can ruin you. **

** Book credit Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace With Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert. A tip for toast-writers: If you ever need inspiration, use book quotes.

No comments: