Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cinnamon Raisin French Toast

My mom and I are big fans of French toast, so I decided to make some this morning for her birthday. Of course, whenever I do anything in the kitchen that involves more than two steps, my mom can't help but fuss around me while I'm cooking - moving dirty dishware, cleaning inadvertent drips, and asking what I'm doing every five minutes. I suspect these habits will never change.

I picked up this recipe card from my local Panera Bread and used their cinnamon raisin bread for the French toast, but you can probably use any bread you like. The perk about using cinnamon raisin is that the bread is already sweetened, so you can't really screw up on the flavor, and it was sweet enough that we skipped the maple syrup when serving.



Ingredients
  • 8 slices of half-inch thick Panera cinnamon raisin bread (or other bread)
  • 4 tbsp melted butter
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Instructions
  1. For the French toast custard, combine and whisk together the milk, heavy cream, eggs, honey, vanilla extract, and salt. This custard can be made well in advance. Give a brisk stir before making the toast.
  2. Transfer the custard to a casserole or open shallow dish for dipping.
  3. Dip one slice of bread into the custard and turn over after about 15 seconds. Transfer the slice to a plate while dipping another slice into the custard.
  4. Place a large skillet on a medium fire. Allow the pan to heat thoroughly before pouring 1 tablespoon of the melted butter into the pan.
  5. Place both slices carefully into the skillet and cook on each side until golden brown or about 2 to 3 minutes.
  6. Repeat steps 3 to 5 until all the French toast is cooked.
  7. An optional step is to place each finished French toast onto a baking sheet in a preheated oven until all are ready to serve. 
  8. Serve warm with maple syrup, if desired. Makes four servings.

No comments: