Monday, April 14, 2008

Red Velvet Cake at CPK

The way to my heart is simple. Give me a decadent dessert and you will forever have a place in my memory. My first real foodie moment was from a bite of creamy tiramisu (still my favorite dessert of all time) at a restaurant in Ashland, Oregon while on a high school trip for the city's annual Shakespeare festival. I haven't the faintest memory of which Shakespeare performance we watched, but I remember that tiramisu. And I realized that to enjoy food was a real blessing.

Anyway, the first time I tried the red velvet cake from California Pizza Kitchen, it was difficult to contain my excitement. It was just that good. And today I was hit with a craving for another taste. So, with images of vanilla bean cream teasing my thoughts, I called up a friend for dinner at CPK. Getting pizza for dinner was just the perfect pretext for getting my cake.

Three layers of moist, buttery red velvet cake, with sinfully rich vanilla bean cream cheese frosting and delicate white chocolate curls on the edge. Served with swirls of vanilla bean sauce, as you can see on the plate. What sweet, sweet seduction.

I think I want another slice now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, red velvet cake is one of the things I've always wanted to try making!! That looks really yummy....

I noticed you have FoodBuzz on there. Can you tell me about your experience with them? (email might work better for this..). I was contacted by them as well and have been trying to decide what to do...

:D :D