Saturday, June 2, 2007

House of Nanking

I'm always impressed with my meals at House of Nanking, a busy little Chinese restaurant on the border between Chinatown and the Financial District. This is a good place to go with a group of friends for lunch or dinner, and the flavors of the dishes are tailored to please both the Chinese and the American palette. Which is not to say this is simply gourmet Panda Express. I'm not big on Americanized Chinese food (case in point - Yank Sing), but even I find Nanking's hearty dishes irresistable.

The best thing to do is to ask the server to choose the dishes for you (just tell him how many dishes, whether you want soup or rice, etc) to ensure that you get to try their best stuff. Then just share family-style among your friends.

Orgasmically good seasame chicken with yams. You'll never go back to the orange chicken at Panda Express.

Eggplant topped with scallops, pea shoots, and lemon slices

Sauteed shrimp, squash, onions, and super juicy mushrooms

Sauteed pea shoots (I think it was some kind of garlic sauce)

Overall, the ingredients are fresh, and the food is very flavorful and hearty (definitely goes well with a beer). The prices are pretty reasonable, too!

House of Nanking
919 Kearny Street
San Francisco, CA 94133
(415) 421-1429

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to eat here w/you! =)

Passionate Eater said...

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I tagged you for a meme about your five favorite places to eat in the City! If you are interested in writing a response, I'd love to read it!