Monday, May 14, 2007

A Vietnamese Affair

I have a tendency of always having something to nibble or sip on in the midst of studying for finals. I like to think it helps to keep me focused. Anyway, I'm grateful to be within walking distance of two great Vietnamese places in the Tenderloin where I can grab a quick meal to go. The first is Tu Lan, which is literally a hole in the wall on Market and Sixth serving quick, cheap, greasy, and oh-so-good Vietnamese fare. Their prices are low but they give you very generous portions of rice and noodles. I usually get their pork combo rice that comes with a salad and imperial rolls, to go because I don't really like sitting down to eat there. Granted, it's not the best pork or imperial rolls ever, but it's decent enough for 6 bucks. And they always stuff my takeout box with so much rice, pork, and salad until it's almost impossible to close.

The second place I love is Saigon Sandwiches on Larkin in between Eddy and Turk. Best Vietnamese sandwiches (banh mi) I've ever had. I ordered the combination special sandwich, which was somewhere in the $3 range. The fresh crusty baguette was lined with a pate spread and stuffed with a variety of meats, pickled daikon and carrots, and cilantro. And if you're in the mood for some good iced coffee with condensed milk, I suggest hopping across the street to Lee's Sandwiches (I don't like their sandwiches, but their coffee is great).

Tu Lan
8 6th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
(415) 626-0927


Saigon Sandwiches
560 Larkin Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 474-5698

1 comment:

Passionate Eater said...

You are right, these are some fantastic Vietnamese gems in the Tenderloin! I agree with you on both of your delicious picks!