Monday, July 14, 2008

Domo Sushi

As a sushi aficionado, I'm constantly looking for new Japanese restaurants to try. So I was delighted to discover Domo Sushi, a hidden gem tucked away in a nondescript area in Hayes Valley. The space is very small, with only about 15 seats, so I made sure to get there before the dinner rush. The menu mostly features sushi, so if you like your fish, this is your spot.

Complimentary edamame

What piqued my interest in Domo were their "crudos" - individual servings of raw seafood, garnished appropriately and served on spoons. And at $4.95 for any two spoons, these tasty bite-sized morsels are still on the affordable side.

Crudos galore! From left to right - uni, ankimo, and scallop

The uni crudo was simply amazing! The buttery creaminess of the avocado highlighted the mild sweetness and soft texture of the sea urchin, minimally garnished with sea salt. I would go back for this crudo alone.

My friend seemed to enjoy the raw scallop, which was topped with minced yuzu cucumber and tobiko. However, I was disappointed with the ankimo, as I'm very picky about this particular delicacy, and there seemed to be something amiss with the garlic ponzu sauce.

I would also definitely return for the sashimi. Simple presentation and fresh, thick slices of deliciousness.

Hamachi sashimi ($9)
Marvelous texture along with the signature light, buttery taste of yellowtail

Domo's menu also has a good assortment of sushi rolls, ranging from the usual suspects like spider and rainbow rolls, to their own house specialties.

Sexy Mama Roll ($11.95)
broiled asparagus and tobiko, topped with salmon, sliced lemon, and yuzu cucumber

I rather enjoyed this roll, as it was a fun medley of textures and flavors (sweetness of the salmon, nutty bitterness of the asparagus, and citrus zest from the lemon). I'm still a bit bewildered by the name though ... I wouldn't exactly associate lemons with sex appeal. But maybe it's just me.

Domo Sushi
511 Laguna Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 861-8887

4 comments:

Seichifer said...

AAAHHHHHH I WANT TO LEAVE WORK TO EAT SOME UNI!!!!!

You're killing me. :-(

Anonymous said...

oh those little crudo tasties look delicious!

Erica said...

Ooohh that looks really lovely. I've never had a crudo before. Who knew there was such a place in Hayes Valley... I thought I'd pretty much eaten all there is to eat there!

Anonymous said...

[color=#193b9d]Артисты на праздник [url=http://dejavu-group.ru/svadba.php]Dejavu-group[/url] - это коллектив виртуозных вокалистов и музыкантов на праздник.
[url=http://dejavu-group.ru/svadba.php]Deja Vu[/url]- лидер в области музыкального оформления музыкальных мероприятий, свадеб, юбилеев.
В репертуаре музыкальной группы Dejavu-group около 3000 произведений.
Только живое исполнение. Диско, хиты 70-80-90-х, джаз, ретро, шансон, современная музыка, европейские хиты, фоновая музыка, поп .
Музыканты Deja Vu обладает мощной качественной аппаратурой, которая позволяет наполнить плотным и приятным уху звуком как небольшое помещение (фуршет), так и огромное помещение (корпоратив до 1 тыс. человек).

Андрей +7 910 483 8294, Игорь +7 916 623 4047 [/color]